Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Riverina Group Forums

Welcome to the Riverina Group Forums. The forums are public however you will have to register on the website if you would like to post in any of the forums.

Riverina Group ForumRiverina Group ForumDiscussionsDiscussionsAbandoned Vehic...Abandoned Vehic...Abandoned VehiclesAbandoned Vehicles
Disabled 
Previous

Next
 Disabled
New Post
 7/3/2014 2:40 PM

Not so controversial as shearing sheds I hope. Looking to determine if there are set steps that need to be followed prior to impoounding a vehicle from the street. To elaborate the vehicle is parked in an un-timed (non-restricted) town street, has been there for 2 months. Vehicle is registered in WA, appears to be fully registered. -- Neil Smith Principal Building & Environmental Services Today
New Post
 7/3/2014 2:40 PM

Hi Neil, Temora Shire Council’s position on this is as follows: - Assess the level of risk – location - Likelihood of vandalism to vehicle - Registered/Un-registered? - Period of time in position - Then we try to contact the owners – we fortunately have an RMS branch in our office and our Ranger does some access authority agreement to notify the registered owner. – we give them a small grace period to contact us – say fortnight’s time. - After the grace period if no contact is made to Council, Council impounds the vehicle and stores it at the Animal Pound Exterior Yard - Council utilises a local car dealer who tows the vehicle at a cost to Council - If the owner then contacts us they have to pay the towing cost and set impounding fee through our Fees & Charges - If no one comes to collect – we tender out the vehicle after 6 months I hope the above helps – however I will still circularise your enquiry to the brains trust. Regards B Belinda Bushell Technical Assistant - Environmental Services Department Temora Shire Council
New Post
 7/3/2014 2:41 PM

Check the obligations in the Impounding Act – find VIN or Rego, go to Police and get info, serve notice for 7 or 14 days per the Act, then if no action, Impound and Invoice and PIN. Can only be moved prior if causing a direct potential traffic hazard. Division 4 of Part 2 of Act starting I think at about clause 15 …. From memory. Craig Filmer - Young Shire Council
New Post
 7/3/2014 2:52 PM

Hi all, In regards to the previous enquiry if you refer to Division 4: Impounding of Articles of the Impounding Act 1993 this should give you the information you need. Regards Lindsay Dodds Cadet Health Building & Planning Narrandera Shire Council
New Post
 7/3/2014 2:53 PM

Hello Neil I am currently assisting with compliance matters here at Council and have been involved in the removal a few abandoned vehicles. I believe that if the vehicle is registered and not parked illegally, then there is not much you can do! However, I would contact the local Police for assistance, could be a stolen vehicle, owner could be ill, over seas etc. I have also devised a procedure for abandoned vehicles and attached it for your information, Regards Jeff Jeff Cartwright | Senior Environmental Health Officer Yass Valley Council
 Login to download attachment
New Post
 7/3/2014 2:54 PM

Hi Neil, Have a read of Sections 15,16,17,18,19,20,24,25,26,27 and Part 5 and Part 7 of the Impounding Act 1993. This should answer your question. Cheers. Regards, Ralph Tambasco Director of Development and Environmental Services Junee Shire Council
New Post
 7/3/2014 2:55 PM

Smitty, If we get notice of an abandoned vehicle we’ll keep an eye on it for a fortnight or so. If nothing has happened in that time we’ll provide the rego and/or VIN details to the local police in order to obtain the identity of the last known owner. We’ll then send a letter to the last known owner stating that we’ve received a complaint about the vehicle being abandoned, and that if it has not been removed by a specified date then Council will impound it in accordance with the Impounding Act 1993. Once impounded we can scrap it immediately if we reasonably believe the value of the vehicle is less than $500, or if its value is considered greater than $500 we can sell it after a period of 28 days. Either way you must inform the local police of your decision. We believe that this is generally in keeping with the requirements of the Impounding Act 1993 (specifically sections 5, 15-19 & 24). Hope this helps. Regards, Scott Martin - Coolamon Shire Council
Disabled 
Previous

Next
 Disabled
Riverina Group ForumRiverina Group ForumDiscussionsDiscussionsAbandoned Vehic...Abandoned Vehic...Abandoned VehiclesAbandoned Vehicles

Site by Cuttlefish Design © 2010.